For many people, choosing a new Sofa or Armchair leads to a re-assessment of their entire living situation. What was once to their taste in decor, colour and style has changed. With open plan living, larger rooms and expansive windows, sliding glass doors and shared spaces (dining/living/outdoor) a fresh approach to furniture is often mandatory, and can be the catalyst for a complete redesign and refreshment of your home. Add to this the gravitation to Apartment Living and downsizing by ‘empty nesters’ and it’s really time to start talking with your Interior Designer or Decorator.
The Wills Collection offers a unique palette for Interior Designers. With a carefully selected and maintained range of both Traditional and Contemporary Upholstered Furniture, the Wills Collection offers a stunning selection of handcrafted, artisan created pieces. Interior Decorators and their clients can select from a wide range of Sofas, Armchairs, Dining Chairs, Stools, Ottomans and Bedheads creating a unique yet flowing style throughout the entire home. Wills Furniture provide full customisation services to enable appropriate alterations as might be required project by project.
Interior Designers, Decorators and clients can select from a huge range of Fabrics, materials, leathers and timber finishes to achieve a unique and personal result that suits both the client’s taste and the individual project at hand.
In choosing fabrics there are a number of considerations for either Interior Designers or Decorators to consider. Here is an extract from Houzz that addresses the question well:
“For a designer its often somewhat imperious to select a wafting silk or a pure white linen. However good designers realise their clients must live with the fabric selected and it may be the fabric is determined by the potential use of the furniture, its location and the degree of traffic a room may experience. Often choosing an easy to maintain fabric is a better long term choice.”
“Here is a list of fabrics, both Natural and Synthetic reprinted from the Houzz.com.au website. It is a useful guide and at Wills Furniture we consider it reasonably accurate and useful.”
- Cotton is durable and resistant to wear and fading, but not as resistant to dirt and wrinkling. Cotton can go from casual to formal depending on the weave.
- Cotton blends are slightly more durable than cotton due to the mix of additional fibres.
- Leather is durable and functional. It wears well and gets better with age.
- Linen is resistant to pilling and fading. It provides a crisp and casual look to furniture. However, it wrinkles and shows dirt easily.
- Silk is elegant and adds a sophisticated and formal touch to furniture. Due to its delicacy, it’s best for light use and requires professional cleaning.
- Wool blends with synthetic fibre for easier maintenance. It’s durable while also being resistant to pilling, fading, wrinkling and soil.
- Acetate is developed as imitation silk, and is resistant to pilling and shrinking; however, it doesn’t hold up well for everyday use due to its tendency to wear, wrinkle and fade in the sun.
- Acrylic is developed as imitation wool and may pill easily if not of high quality. However, it’s softer than natural wool, and is resistant to wear, wrinkling, dirt and fading.
- Microfibre fabric is made from polyester fibres, is similar to suede, and easy to maintain.
- Nylon is often blended with other fibres, creating a durable fabric that won’t wrinkle or soil but may fade and pill.
- Polyester is usually found in a blend with other fibres, and is resistant to wrinkling and fading.
- Rayon, though prone to wrinkling, is durable and affordable.
- Vinyl is durable and a more affordable option compared to leather.
For further information on the superb Wills Collection please call 03 9815 0111 and arrange an inspection at our Hawthorn Showroom located at 6 Guest St Hawthorn.
It could be that you don’t have a selected Designer or Decorator – yet have decided on a particular piece of furniture or combination. At Wills Furniture we have a broad selection of Designers and Decorators we can recommend to assist you.
Leave your contact details here and we will get back to you promptly to assist you further.
Wills Furniture – Design, Luxury and Comfort
Simply the best